Textpattern quickstart screencast
Installing Textpattern, including basic configuration and publishing the first post—in under five minutes
Herewith, a screencast:
Note that about halfway through, the first time I log in, a mostly blank screen comes up. This is a known bug in Textpattern version 4.2.0. (The bug has already been fixed in the latest development version, but that hasn’t been released yet.) I might redo it when the new version comes out, in which case I’ll make the fonts bigger.
It’s done in real time and is unedited, although I did a practice take, as you might notice when the text editor’s save dialog muffs its lines by getting ahead of the script.
- Textpattern, a free and open source Content Management System
- VirtualHostX for setting up the demo’s virtual host (Mac only, US$19)
- Sequel Pro for creating the MySQL database (Mac only, free)
- TextWrangler for creating the configuration file (Mac only, free)
Plus the Finder, of course, along with Terminal and Safari, all included with OS X.
Behind the scenes:
Guest appearance by:
- Little Snitch, network monitor/reverse firewall (Mac only, US$30)
Screen capture courtesy of:
Snapz Pro X (Mac only, US$69 for full version with movie capture).
Posted 2009-09-30 (last modified 2009-10-01)